Gas Safety Certificates

CP42  FAQ's

All questions answered.......

Real questions posed by real caterers, chefs and business owners

Questions answered by RCM Catering Equipment's Andy Ratcliffe

Got a question not covered here? Please let us know by emailing us at: 


Annual CP42 Gas Certificates- 
your questions answered...

The subject of Gas Safety Certificates in the catering industry can be confusing at times. Is a CP42 certificate the same as a standard gas safety certificate? Who can issue a certificate and how long do they last?

In an attempt to cut through jargon, urban myths, and misinformation, below you will find our list of frequently asked questions and statements on the subject. If we haven't included something you'd like the answer to, please do let us know via this link and we'll update this section accordingly.

Is a Commercial Catering Gas Safety Certificate a legal requirement in the UK?
Also known as a CP42 Certificate, this document is issued by a suitably qualified and registered Gas Safe engineer and covers the gas, ventilation and extraction systems within a catering kitchen, including all connected gas-fired appliances. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GSIUR) specify that it is a legal requirement for catering premises to have gas systems and appliances checked and certified. Click here to read more.

Our plumbing contractors are Gas Safe engineers. Can they test the kitchen while they are servicing our boilers? The Gas Safe Register is a list of businesses and engineers that are legally permitted to carry out gas work under the trading name that they have registered. Registered engineers and businesses have a Gas Safe registration number. That number can be checked on the Gas Safe register and it is worth checking that the engineer or business you want to use is currently registered and that they are qualified to carry out work on catering systems and appliances. 

I only rent or lease the property, so should not the Landlord take care of Gas Safety? It is worth checking with whoever owns or manages the building, but commercial leases usually place full responsibility for Gas Safety on the leaseholder. Our advice is do not leave it to chance. Check the small print, and if in any doubt at all, write to the building owners and agents to clarify matters.

How long does a CP42 Gas Safety Certificate last? Certificates cover appliances and systems in place at the time of testing and usually last for 12 months from date of issue. Heavy use kitchens are sometimes tested more frequently.

I do not have a Catering CP42 Gas Safety Certificate. How quickly can I get one? As mentioned above, The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 state that it is a legal requirement, so you are breaking the law and could be prosecuted. Also, your buildings and contents / business interruption insurance would almost certainly be void. Depending on workload, we can usually provide an estimate over the phone, then arrange a suitable appointment within a few days or so. Ring us on: 01793 521119 for more details.

What does a catering kitchen Gas Safety Certificate cover?  A prescribed list of safety checks is carried out during gas safety testing. Qualification and ongoing training for catering engineers is both expensive and time consuming, so you can expect high-quality, thorough standards and charges that are commensurate with professional services. Gas appliances, pipe work, extraction and interlock systems will all be tested and scrutinised and you should expect clear, concise, and accurate feedback once testing is complete. We provide you with comprehensive paperless documentation and we maintain full electronic records in-house.

My insurance company have never mentioned a Gas Safety Certificate, so why should I bother? All UK insurance companies now insist on having sight of a current CP42 Gas Safety Certificate, regardless of whether premises are leased, rented or freehold. Most insurers insist on an electronic copy being sent annually, but sometimes those requests are ignored or they simply slip through the net. It would be foolhardy in the extreme to expect anything other than a rejected claim if the worst was ever to happen without a currently valid Gas Safety Certificate being in existence.

Gas interlock systems can only be installed and repaired by F GAS 2079-certified engineers
F Gas 2079-certified engineers work on refrigeration systems. Only a Gas Safe registered catering engineer can test, report on and issue certification documents to declare your system and appliances as safe for continued use.

Is a gas safety certificate transferable to the new owner if I sell my business? We issue gas safety certificates to our clients and they cover specific appliances and systems that were present at the time of testing - with no exceptions. For obvious reasons we have no way of knowing if or when a particular business is sold or transferred or if alterations and modifications have been made after testing, so whilst we endeavour to work with all parties at all times, our certificates are non-transferable.

Got a question or comment? Please let us know (via email) by clicking here